Students at Rodillian in KS3 follow a progressive pathway in French. This ties in with the end of year 7 trip to the Ardeche.
Pupils develop the four skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening, build up a knowledge of vocabulary and independent use of grammar as well as translation skills – all a key requirement of the new GCSE.
Homework will focus particularly on developing a knowledge of vocabulary and application of grammar.
Content covered includes:
Year 7 – French
- Greetings and personal information
- Dates, Numbers, Time
- Home and daily routine
- Family, friends and pets
- Christmas in French speaking countries
- High frequency regular and irregular verbs
- Reflexive verbs
- Possessive adjectives
- Formation of negatives
- Tenses: present, near future.
Year 8 – French
- Town and local area
- Countries and nationalities
- Media (TV, cinema) and new technology
- Food, health and body, clothes
- Jobs and future plans.
- French speaking countries
- Irregular verbs
- Future tense
- Conditional tense
- Past tense
- Comparative language
- Extending opinions
Year 9-11 French – GCSE syllabus:
- Family, friends and relationships
- Free time
- Customs and festivals
- Home town and neighbourhood
- Social and global issues
- Travel and tourism
- Education and work
- Exam revision
- Revision of all key tenses
- Extend vocabulary
- Complex language
- Exam style questions and homework tasks
- Build up spontaneity in speaking and writing.
GCSE exam involves:
- A listening paper
- A reading paper (with a translation into English).
- A writing paper (with translation into the target language)
- A 3 part speaking exam (involving a picture description, a role play and questions on the various topics covered).
Sixth form pathways:
A level French with end of year 13 exams covering the following themes:
- Social issues and trends
- Political and artistic culture
- A book and a film study
Mrs J Park (Head of Department and teacher of French/Spanish)
Mr A Ouledi (second in department and teacher of French
Mrs L Blackburn (Teacher of French and head of year 10)
Miss H Radford (Teacher of French and Spanish)
Intervention sessions run Mon – Thursday after and before school
Students will be given weekly homework to practise all 4 skills as well as regular vocabulary practice. They will be given online access to various websites to build vocabulary and enable skills practise e.g. reading and listening.
Support Your Child – Useful links and advice
Year 7 Spanish: http://www.memrise.com/course/292462/back-to-basics-2/
Year 7 French: http://www.memrise.com/course/294674/back-to-basics-french/
Year 8 Spanish: http://www.memrise.com/course/269380/year-8-spanish-holidays/
Year 9 Spanish: http://www.memrise.com/course/318420/ba-spanish/
Year 9 French: http://www.memrise.com/course/318412/ba-french/
Listen regularly to Spanish by using any of the following resources:
Radio espanol app (on iStore) – A choice of Spanish radio stations.
Watching Spanish films
Searching for Spanish radio stations and listening on the internet.
Listen regularly to French by using any of the following resources:
Sky Channel 796
Radio français app (on app store) – A choice of French radio stations.
Watching French films
Searching for French radio stations and listening on the internet.